Recently I delivered a presentation on bullying in the workplace. It was based on a study I conducted in 2012. It went well. Is there more opportunities out there for me to share information about bullying in the workplace? I sure hope so.
- Yelling, shouting and screaming
- Verbal abuse
- Offensive behaviors nonverbal/verbal) which are threatening, humiliating, or intimidating
- causing Work interference, — basically sabotage — which prevents work from getting done
- Other: cyber bullying, mobbing
The Murphy Study (Perceptions of Bullying in the Workplace: A Phenomenological Study) says:
- 26% remarked the work environment was horrible, unhealthy and toxic.
- 25% says the environment was conducive to bullying, it was accepted as the norm
- 21% felt they would work better in a positive environment
- 21% were not happy because of changes that were in place
- 70% felt uncomfortable, upset, overwhelmed
- 42% would contact their supervisor after witnessing bullying
- 33% have resentment/defensive feelings about their job
- 25% do not want to work in the environment where bullying is present (intimidation/threatening behavior)
- All participants felt there were actions that could be taken to minimize bullying
- 50% expected to have zero tolerance for bullying
- 46% felt policies should be in place to enforce
Something to think about:
Workplace bullying is unacceptable behavior, but it is not by any federal or state law in the United States.
Just to name a few-effects:
Pain, anxiety, panic attacks, Depression, lack of motivation, feelings of undervalued & low production
Costs to the Organization:
- Employee turnover
- Health care costs
- Low productivity
- Low morale
- Low job satisfaction
Question to you:
Do you think organizations should be worried about bullying in their workplace?
- Is there a lack of relevant organizational policies and controls in place that makes it difficult for an employee in the United States to report bullying for fear of being ridicule, being viewed as weak, or being terminated from their employment?